History & Facts
The first school in Rendon was built where the new part of the cemetery is now located. The land had been donated by Mr. W.L. Norwood in 1897. The school moved to its new location about 1911. A three room building was built; there were outdoor restrooms and no cafeteria. The building was torn down around 1931. The new one building was a four-room wooden building; rooms were added later. This school was heated by coal, and the restrooms were still located outdoors.
Around 1941, the New Hope School consolidated with Rendon, and their building was moved and attached to Rendon School. Unfortunately, on January 14, 1947, the school burned from faulty wiring. Classes were held at Retta Church, Rendon Church and Bloodworth School. In the summer of 1947, the school was built again, and a portion of the building is still being used. Originally, the school was built of cement block, with five classrooms and two restrooms. The first lunch room was built in 1950, and later, three more classrooms, a new lunch room and a gym were added.
On December 4, 1966, an election was held to determine independent status and the election of seven trustees. The election passed, and in the summer of 1967, an election was held and it was decided to consolidate with Mansfield Independent School District.
On July 21, 1969, Mansfield ISD purchased more land next to the school site and constructed a new school. The new Tarver-Rendon Elementary School was completed in December 1970 with students moving in January 1971 after returning from the Christmas holiday.
The area was named after Joaquin Rendon, a Mexican-American sheepherder, who received a land grant of 4,065 acres in 1837. The grant was at the headwaters of Caddo and Walnut Creeks. The new “Tarver-Rendon” school received its name as a memorial to Ray F. Tarver. Holland Tarver, an employee of Texas Electric Co. donated all of the electrical apparatus and labor; the school was named in his brother’s honor.
In August 2012, Tarver-Rendon moved to its new location at 6065 Retta Mansfield Road. During the 2015-2016 school year, Tarver-Rendon staff, parents and students began building the Discovery Park, an outdoor STEAM classroom, behind the campus. The Discovery Park has gardens, greenhouses, a stage, art easels and a small barn/classroom for student use. In August of 2017, Tarver-Rendon became a school of Agriculture Leadership.
Create a campus culture that unites the efforts of students, staff, families and the community to provide opportunities for academic, social, emotional, and physical growth.
WILD about Learning!
School Mascot - Roadrunner
School Colors - Blue & Gold
Grades Taught - Pre-Kindergarten through 4th grade
Teacher/Student Ratio - 1:22
- Agriculture Leadership program
- Co -Teach and Resource support for Special Education students
- Gifted and Talented program
- ESL program
- On site half day Pre-K program (morning and afternoon sessions)
- 504 services for qualifying students
- Dyslexia Services for qualifying students